Archive | 23/04/2015

TWO GAMBIA CRICKETERS DENIED UK VISAS

According to reports, two cricketers from Gambia have been refused sports visas to visit Sussex this summer, sparking anger from amateur players in the county. The Sussex Seniors team have sponsored cricket in Gambia for seven years and have raised up to £70,000. This summer, they wanted to bring two players to Sussex to experience village cricket, but visas were refused. Spokesman Andrew Shanks said he was “hopping mad”. The Home Office said it did not comment on individual cases.

Mr Shanks said Sussex Seniors invited the Gambia cricket team’s captain and vice-captain with all expenses and accommodation provided, and he had sponsored their applications. But immigration officials said they believed the players had no intention of returning to Gambia and advised the team to invite two players from the EU, he said.

Mr Shanks, from Uckfield, said: “They’re almost insinuating we’re liars. “They’ve said they don’t think they are coming for cricket, they don’t think they are going to be accommodated and looked after, and in all probability they have no intention of returning to Gambia. “We just thought we would love to invite their captain and vice-captain over purely to play village cricket in Sussex for the summer – but the government has decided they can’t come.”

Captain Mbye Dumbuya said it was disappointing. He said the players had wanted to visit their sponsors to develop their game and have more playing time, then return to Gambia to develop their team and their programme. “All this was just the agenda,” he said. “There was nothing like going there and absconding. It has never been our intention.”

CAPTAIN IN THE DOCK FOR PEOPLE TRAFFICKING AND RECKLESS MULTIPLE HUMICIDE IN THE MEDITERRANEAN SEA

1000

According to the Guardian newspaper, Italian police have arrested two suspected people traffickers among the survivors of the migrant boat that capsized off the coast of Libya on Sunday, as the United Nations said it believed that at least 800 people died in the sinking – the worst such incident ever in the Mediterranean.

Prosecutors said they had detained 27-year-old Tunisian Mohammed Ali Malek, believed to be the captain of the vessel, and Syrian national Mahmud Bikhit, 25. The two were taken from a group of 27 haggard survivors who arrived in the Sicilian port of Catania on Monday evening. The two were charged with people trafficking and the captain was also charged with reckless multiple homicide in relation to the sinking.

Survivors had earlier told investigators that they believed the vessel capsized after a collision with the King Jacob. Some told the Ansa news agency that the captain of the migrant boat was carelessly steering the vessel – and therefore could have rammed into the cargo ship – in order to avoid being identified later as the captain.

The King Jacob has been involved in four other rescue operations, according to Italian press reports. Commercial ships have played an important role in rescue operations, responding both to the calls of migrant ships that are in distress and requests for help from the Italian coastguard and navy. Aid agencies say such commercial vessels have become invaluable partners to Italian officials in cases when they are closer to distressed boats than the Italian rescue boats are. According to the IOM, commercial ships helped rescue 40,000 people last year, even though aid agencies and others have said the vessels are not really equipped to handle such sensitive rescues.

EU TO HOLD EMERGENCY MEETING ON MEDITERREAN SEA DISASTER TODAY

Lampedusa-migration-012 imagess

EU leaders are due to hold an emergency summit on ways to stem the number of migrants risking the perilous journey across from African to the Mediterranean. The draft proposals include a push for a military mandate to destroy boats used by people traffickers. As reported earlier, more than 800 people drowned off the coast of Libya on Sunday, and this year alone the Mediterranean sea has claimed more than 1750 lives.

Italian PM Matteo Renzi has described people smugglers as the slave traders of the 21st Century and he called for direct action against people smugglers. A draft statement for Thursday’s meeting in Brussels, says leaders will commit to “undertake systematic efforts to identify, capture and destroy vessels before they are used by traffickers”.

According to UN High Commissioner for Refugees Antonio Guterres a co-ordinated response was needed to save lives.

He said, our ability to save lives at sea has to be guaranteed, because the current situation is a tremendous tragedy, and today we know that the fact that there is no effective rescue operation in place, has not reduced but rather increased the number of people who try to cross the Mediterranean. He added, there are people traffickers. And we have to take a very tough line with these people who violate human rights.

Due to the rise in the number of people fleeing war and poverty in the Middle East and Africa in recent months, has led to huge numbers of people trying to reach Europe in unseaworthy and often overcrowded vessels.

The International Organisation for Migration says there have been 30 times as many deaths so far in 2015 as in the same period last year and the figure could rise to 30,000. More than 500 people rescued from several other boats were brought ashore by Italian coastguards on Wednesday.

SOUTH AFRICANS HAVE THE SHORTEST MEMORY AMONG HUMANS

Mozambique national Emmanuel Sithole is attacked by men in Alexandra township during the anti-immigrant violence  in Johannesburg

Last month, the Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini made a public statement in which he compared “foreigners” in South Africa to lice and advised them to pack and return to where they came from. Although many South Africans were shocked and disgusted and compared the King’s speech to that of the speeches made during the Rwandan genocide in which Tutsis were referred to as cockroaches, however, the South African government has taken no action against Goodwill. Had that speech by the so called king made by an ordinary man, by now the person would have been charged for hate speech.

South Africa’s Equality Act allows for prosecution in cases of hate speech and incitement to violence, while Article 3 of the UN convention against Genocide also makes provisions for “direct and public incitement to commit genocide”.

It is rather disappointing that the South African president Jacob Zuma himself could described this barbaric act as just criminality. This goes to show how easily we forget our past. It was 27th of April 1994 when ANC wins first non-racial elections, which paved the way for Nelson Mandela to be president of South Africa. This was made possible mainly because of the collective efforts of Africans and today this barbaric and savagery act against the same people who fought for your freedom is what South African got to pay them. It is rather sad we still have such leadership in our continent, by now, South Africa should be suspended from that use for nothing union AU, however, because they just don’t care. Only rhetoric or unilateral actions would not solve the problem they must call an emergency meeting and make sure South Africa pay for the state sponsored genocide of foreigner.

After brutally Killing over 20 people and displacing more than 5000 people, Zuma thought it’s enough now so he called in the army to curb the savagery, but the problem is he and his government are responsible for what is happening. These people who are killing and ransacking foreign properties and businesses are encouraged by the leadership because in the heat of the moment if a president could stand and say those who are legally here should be treated like brothers, so how about those illegal migrants, are they not human? Of course they are.

During the apartheid even the tiniest country in the African continent, such as Gambia did lodged cared for them and some of them are still there. But because they have a short lived memory they have forgotten their past.  No wonder they are barbaric.